Today we’re presenting our own version of a tiramisu cupcake. We love all the flavors found in this Italian dessert. Coffee, vanilla sponge cake and mascarpone or cream cheese.
Tiramisu means “pick me up” or “cheer me up” in Italian, which is perfect for this delicious dessert. Making desserts with your family or friends always puts a smile on everybody’s faces and makes lovely memories.
We started to create this recipe with the cake. We use a basic meringue and oil to create a moist cake base. This will be the perfect cake for the coffee.
For the coffee syrup, we strongly recommend using the coffee you like the most. Original tiramisu is made with espresso because of the strong flavor that combines perfectly with the sweet frosting. But if you want something sweeter you could add water and sugar to it. You can check our Coffee Mousse recipe for more information on coffee.
Any coffee you like will be perfect for this, but if you’re looking for suggestions, we recommend dark roasts from Italy or France.
We put an extra layer of flavor adding chocolate ganache. Simple ganache recipe, heavy cream and chocolate in equal amounts.
Finally, we have mascarpone frosting. Mascarpone is the original cheese of a tiramisu. The light acidic taste characteristic of a mascarpone blends well with the coffee. If you can’t find mascarpone cheese, any cream cheese would work perfectly.
You can check other cakey recipes in the links below
- 2 Eggs
- 50 g White Sugar (1.7 oz)
- 60 g Vegetable Oil (2.1 oz)
- 160 g Milk (5.6 oz)
- 1 Tsp Rice Vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 125 g Flour (4.4 oz)
- 50 g Chocolate (1.7 oz)
- 50 g Heavy Cream (1.7 oz)
- 225 g Mascarpone or Cream Cheese (7.9 oz)
- 60 g Powdered Sugar (2.1 oz)
- 240 g Heavy Cream (8.4 oz)
- 30 g Cocoa (1 oz)
- Melted Chocolate (to write)
- Preheat your oven at 160°C (320°F)
- Let’s start with the vanilla cake. In a bowl, using a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and double the volume.
- Add the oil slowly at medium speed.
- Mix the milk and rice vinegar and add it to the preparation.
- Add the flour and mix until everything is combined.
- Put it in cupcake liners and bake it for 20 minutes at 160°C (320°F)
- Now let’s make the frosting, remember to use the mascarpone or cream cheese at room temperature so it doesn’t have any lumps. With a whisk attachment, whisk the cheese until creamy.
- Add the heavy cream and whisk until everything is combined and it has hard peaks. Then add the powdered sugar and whisk for 1 minute at medium speed. Put the frosting in the fridge for 15 minutes or until it has a pipable consistency.
- For the chocolate ganache, put the chopped chocolate in a bowl, heat the heavy cream until boiling and then pour it over the chocolate. Let it rest for 1 minute and the mix until combined.
- When the vanilla cupcakes are out of the oven, let it cool down completely. After that with the help of a brush, or a small spoon, moist the cupcakes with the coffee of your preference. After that make a small hole and put the chocolate ganache.
- Use a piping bag and a piping tip of your preference for the frosting.
- Garnish with cocoa, raspberry, mint and for the chocolate writing, in a piping bag put the melted chocolate and cut a small hole. Write over a parchment paper and let it get hard in a fridge. With much care take out of the parchment paper and put it over the cupcakes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @soulpastry on Instagram and hashtag it with #soulpastry